Daughter sues over claim Egypt`s Sadat killed Nasser: Source
Cairo: The daughter of late Egyptian
president Anwar Sadat is suing his former aide over claims the
leader poisoned his predecessor Gamal Abdel Nasser, a judicial
source told agency on Tuesday.
Roqaya al-Sadat has filed a complaint to the public
prosecutor accusing Mohammed Hassanein Heikal, a prominent
journalist who was Sadat`s aide and adviser, of libel, the
In a programme on pan-Arab satellite channel
Al-Jazeera, Heikal said Nasser died three days after Sadat
personally prepared a cup of coffee for him, implying the
beverage was poisoned.
"My father didn`t like coffee and didn`t know how to
prepare coffee," Roqaya said in the complaint to the public
prosecutor, the judicial source said.
After the Al-Jazeera programme was aired on Thursday
last week, Nasser`s son Abdel Hakim said he was aware of the
rumours but had no evidence to back the claims.
"I heard the cup of coffee story years ago from my
sister, but I can`t tell what happened," Abdel Hakim was
quoted as saying by the state-owned newspaper Egyptian Mail.
"All the options are now on the table, but we don`t
have clear evidence to convict anyone," he said.
Nationalist leader Nasser suffered a heart attack and
died in office on September 28, 1970.
Sadat, who was his deputy at the time, then took over
as president. He was gunned down in 1981 by Islamist militants
opposed to a peace deal he agreed with Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days