David Cameron hit with egg during campaigning
London: Tory leader David Cameron on Wednesday
laughed off being hit by an egg while campaigning for the May
6 elections, dismissing it as the "first of the campaign".
Cameron was struck on the shoulder as he emerged from
answering students` questions during a visit to College
Saltash in Cornwall.
The egg, thrown by a teen-aged hoodie glanced off
Cameron`s shoulder and splattered on the jacket of a police
officer beside him. The yolk stained Cameron`s white shirt.
The young man was identified as Tyler Dixon from
Ernesettle, Plymouth. He was immediately led away but was
released after police established that he did not have any
more missiles on him. He will not face any charges, British
A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said: "A 16-
year-old student threw an egg. It didn`t hit David Cameron but
it hit someone else at the event. He was arrested but was de-
arrested before reaching a police station."
Emily Taylor, a midwife, said that she saw Cameron
immediately after the attack and "he looked pretty angry".
But the Tory leader, who yesterday confronted a tabloid
journalist who has been following him round dressed as a giant
chicken, did his best to laugh it off.
"That was the first of the campaign," he said. "Now I
know which came first ? the chicken not the egg."
The incident was the most high-profile "egging" since
the BNP leader, Nick Griffin, was forced to call off a press
conference outside Parliament last June when he came under
fire from a hail of eggs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka