David Miliband`s dinner party guide ridiculed
London: David Miliband, considered the front-runner to lead UK’s Labor Party, was ridiculed in newspapers on Saturday over his six-page guide on how to throw a dinner party for his campaign.
The former foreign secretary, one of five candidates for the post vacated by Gordon Brown, was lampooned for his step-by-step guide to "what you should be doing" once "you`ve decided to hold a house meeting for David".
It begins with some stock paragraphs to read down the phone to invitees -- and, remember, "No one can resist a delicious spread of food!".
"5:30pm -- get in from work, give the place a quick vacuum and general tidy (or not, if you`re not that type)," the guide on his campaign website says.
"Put the oven on and get the nibbles in. If there are drinks, get them chilling. Pick some music.”
"7:00pm -- People are arriving, take their coats, get them a drink, all that good stuff.”
"7:50pm -- Show David`s leadership House Party video."
At 8:40pm, hosts can read out some more stock paragraphs, beginning: "I hope you have enjoyed this evening -- it`s been really interesting hearing your stories... Whatever our different perspectives on the issues discussed tonight, one thing is clear -- that we can achieve more together than we can on our own."
And at 9:00pm, "finish the meeting with a thank you".
The Independent said it was the "dinner party from hell".
Calling it beyond "excruciating", if his leadership bid fails, "a glorious career as a professional TV dinner party organiser clearly awaits. The Labour Party`s loss will be light entertainment`s gain," its editorial read.
The Daily Mail said it was "toe-curling" and "bizarrely patronising".
The Sun said the "cringe-making tips on how to make the get-togethers fun will do nothing to help Mr Miliband shake off his geeky image".
A spokeswoman for Miliband said: "Every leader needs to know how to run a party".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in