David Petraeus apologises for extramarital affair
Washington: Disgraced former CIA director David Petraeus has apologised for his extramarital affair that ensnared his career in an emotional speech at the University of Southern California event honouring the military.
Nearly five months after his sex scandal came to limelight and tanked his career, Petraeus has broken his silence to seek forgiveness.
According to the New York Daily News, giving his first public speech since resigning last November, the former four-star general apologised for his extramarital affair with biographer Paula Broadwell and said he hopes to make amends.
Petraeus, 60, suffered a stunning fall from his career shortly after President Barack Obama`s second election when news broke that he and Broadwell, a married Army veteran and mother of two, got involved in an affair shortly after she finished writing her book on the ex-CIA head.
Broadwell, 40, was later investigated for harassing Tampa socialite Jill Kelley - whom she reportedly considered a romantic rival - online.
According to the report, Petraeus` wife Holly did not attend the speech on Tuesday night, but he invoked her in a story about visiting his son at MIT.
He also thanked everyone who expressed support to his family over the last few months.
He said that the whole event has been a very difficult episode for them, but perhaps his experience can be instructive to others who stumble or indeed fall as far as he did.
He added that he know that he can never fully assuage the pain he has inflicted on those closest to his and on a number of others, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened