David Petraeus apologises for extramarital affair
Washington: Disgraced former CIA director David Petraeus has apologised for his extramarital affair that ensnared his career in an emotional speech at the University of Southern California event honouring the military.
Nearly five months after his sex scandal came to limelight and tanked his career, Petraeus has broken his silence to seek forgiveness.
According to the New York Daily News, giving his first public speech since resigning last November, the former four-star general apologised for his extramarital affair with biographer Paula Broadwell and said he hopes to make amends.
Petraeus, 60, suffered a stunning fall from his career shortly after President Barack Obama`s second election when news broke that he and Broadwell, a married Army veteran and mother of two, got involved in an affair shortly after she finished writing her book on the ex-CIA head.
Broadwell, 40, was later investigated for harassing Tampa socialite Jill Kelley - whom she reportedly considered a romantic rival - online.
According to the report, Petraeus` wife Holly did not attend the speech on Tuesday night, but he invoked her in a story about visiting his son at MIT.
He also thanked everyone who expressed support to his family over the last few months.
He said that the whole event has been a very difficult episode for them, but perhaps his experience can be instructive to others who stumble or indeed fall as far as he did.
He added that he know that he can never fully assuage the pain he has inflicted on those closest to his and on a number of others, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion