David Petraeus apologises for extramarital affair
Washington: Disgraced former CIA director David Petraeus has apologised for his extramarital affair that ensnared his career in an emotional speech at the University of Southern California event honouring the military.
Nearly five months after his sex scandal came to limelight and tanked his career, Petraeus has broken his silence to seek forgiveness.
According to the New York Daily News, giving his first public speech since resigning last November, the former four-star general apologised for his extramarital affair with biographer Paula Broadwell and said he hopes to make amends.
Petraeus, 60, suffered a stunning fall from his career shortly after President Barack Obama`s second election when news broke that he and Broadwell, a married Army veteran and mother of two, got involved in an affair shortly after she finished writing her book on the ex-CIA head.
Broadwell, 40, was later investigated for harassing Tampa socialite Jill Kelley - whom she reportedly considered a romantic rival - online.
According to the report, Petraeus` wife Holly did not attend the speech on Tuesday night, but he invoked her in a story about visiting his son at MIT.
He also thanked everyone who expressed support to his family over the last few months.
He said that the whole event has been a very difficult episode for them, but perhaps his experience can be instructive to others who stumble or indeed fall as far as he did.
He added that he know that he can never fully assuage the pain he has inflicted on those closest to his and on a number of others, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral