`Dead` candidate elected in south Mexico village
Mexico City: It`s been said that to get elected to public office all you need is a pulse, but prosecutors Mexico are investigating how a man certified as dead got elected mayor of a village in southern Mexico.
Lenin Carballido narrowly won Sunday`s election in San Agustin Amatengo, near the colonial city of Oaxaca.
But then a death certificate surfaced, indicating that Carballido had died in 2010 of a diabetic coma.
Officials in Oaxaca today said the certificate had been drawn up and signed by a public registry official, but the death had been faked.
Prosecutors say one of Carballido`s relatives used the death certificate to convince detectives to drop an arrest warrant for an alleged 2004 rape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!