Deadliest bombings in the US
New York: At least three people were killed and more than 100 were wounded Monday as two blasts struck the Boston Marathon, in what could be acts of terrorism.
Following is a list of the main bombings to hit the United States over the past decades.
September 11, 2001: Members of the al Qaeda network steer two passenger jets into the twin towers of New York`s World Trade Center, causing them to collapse. A third aircraft hits the Pentagon in Washington and a fourth hijacked plane crashes in Pennsylvania. Nearly 3,000 people die in the attacks, the worst on US soil.
July 27, 1996: The Centennial Olympic Park Bombing in Atlanta during the Summer Olympics kills two people and leaves 112 wounded.
October 9, 1995: A train bound from Miami to Los Angeles derails in the Arizona desert with saboteurs calling themselves "Sons of Gestapo" claiming responsibility. One person dies and more than 80 are wounded. Investigators say the attack could be linked to the 1993 siege of a ranch owned by the Branch Davidians sect in Waco, Texas in which 80 people died.
April 19, 1995: 168 people die and more than 500 are wounded in the Oklahoma City bombing in which Timothy McVeigh, an American militia movement sympathizer and Gulf War veteran, explodes a truck containing explosives outside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. He is sentenced to death in June 1997 and executed on June 11, 2001.
February 26, 1993: A truck bomb is detonated in a car park under one of the towers of the World Trade Center killing six people and wounding about 1,000. In May 1994 four Islamists are sentenced to a total 240 years in prison. The attack is later blamed on an Egyptian movement led by blind Muslim cleric Omar Abdel Rahman who is sentenced to life by a US court in 1996.
May 16, 1981: One person dies in an explosion in a men`s room of the Pan American terminal at New York`s JFK airport. A group calling itself Puerto Rican Armed Resistance claims responsibility for the attack.
December 29, 1975: The explosion of a bomb in a locker at New York`s La Guardia airport kills 11 people and wounds 75.
January 24, 1975: An explosion in a New York tavern kills four people. The blast is one of 49 attacks attributed to Puerto Rican nationalist group FALN between 1974 and 1977.
August 24, 1970: A researcher at University of Wisconsin-Madison dies in a bomb blast attributed to militant pacifists.
Also, on September 16, 1920, a bomb explodes in New York`s Wall Street area leaving 40 people dead and hundreds wounded. Police identifies "anarchists" as perpetrators.
Since the September 11, 2001 attacks a number of bombing plots have been thwarted in the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof