Deadly attack in Myanmar ahead of Obama visit
Yangon: Myanmar state media say ethnic rebels in the country`s north have staged a deadly attack on a prison convoy. The attack highlights a violence-plagued corner of Myanmar just days before a historic visit by President Barack Obama.
White House officials said yesterday that Obama would use his visit to the former pariah state to push for "urgent action" in areas where progress is needed most notably freeing political prisoners and ending ethnic tensions in western Rakhine state and northern Kachin state.
State media reported today that the latest attack occurred in Kachin state, with ethnic Kachin rebels ambushing a five-car prison convoy. The attack Wednesday left two convicts dead and 14 injured.
Obama`s visit to Myanmar on Monday is the centerpiece of his first foreign tour since winning re-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened