Deadly attack in Myanmar ahead of Obama visit
Yangon: Myanmar state media say ethnic rebels in the country`s north have staged a deadly attack on a prison convoy. The attack highlights a violence-plagued corner of Myanmar just days before a historic visit by President Barack Obama.
White House officials said yesterday that Obama would use his visit to the former pariah state to push for "urgent action" in areas where progress is needed most notably freeing political prisoners and ending ethnic tensions in western Rakhine state and northern Kachin state.
State media reported today that the latest attack occurred in Kachin state, with ethnic Kachin rebels ambushing a five-car prison convoy. The attack Wednesday left two convicts dead and 14 injured.
Obama`s visit to Myanmar on Monday is the centerpiece of his first foreign tour since winning re-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?