Deadly clashes in northern Kenya: Official
Nairobi: A Kenyan official says several people have been killed and injured in fighting between rival ethnic groups in the country`s north.
Marsabit county governor Ukur Yatani said there were "many casualties" but could not immediately provide an exact toll of Saturday`s violence.
Calls to a local Red Cross official seeking confirmation were not immediately returned.
Yatani says the ongoing clashes in and around Moyale town between the heavily armed groups have claimed at least an estimated 100 lives over the past four months.
Vast areas of northern Kenya along the porous borders with Ethiopia and Somalia are poorly policed, facilitating weapons smuggling and movement of militants.
Kenya`s government said earlier this week it was deploying some military forces to the area to quell the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren