Deadly clashes in northern Kenya: Official
Nairobi: A Kenyan official says several people have been killed and injured in fighting between rival ethnic groups in the country`s north.
Marsabit county governor Ukur Yatani said there were "many casualties" but could not immediately provide an exact toll of Saturday`s violence.
Calls to a local Red Cross official seeking confirmation were not immediately returned.
Yatani says the ongoing clashes in and around Moyale town between the heavily armed groups have claimed at least an estimated 100 lives over the past four months.
Vast areas of northern Kenya along the porous borders with Ethiopia and Somalia are poorly policed, facilitating weapons smuggling and movement of militants.
Kenya`s government said earlier this week it was deploying some military forces to the area to quell the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?