Deadly clashes in northern Kenya: Official
Nairobi: A Kenyan official says several people have been killed and injured in fighting between rival ethnic groups in the country`s north.
Marsabit county governor Ukur Yatani said there were "many casualties" but could not immediately provide an exact toll of Saturday`s violence.
Calls to a local Red Cross official seeking confirmation were not immediately returned.
Yatani says the ongoing clashes in and around Moyale town between the heavily armed groups have claimed at least an estimated 100 lives over the past four months.
Vast areas of northern Kenya along the porous borders with Ethiopia and Somalia are poorly policed, facilitating weapons smuggling and movement of militants.
Kenya`s government said earlier this week it was deploying some military forces to the area to quell the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof