Deadly riot breaks out in Liberia day before vote
Monrovia: At least one person is dead in Liberia after rioting broke out at the headquarters of the country`s main opposition party one day before a presidential runoff.
A news agency photographer saw the body of a man, his head bloodied, lying at the headquarters of the Congress for Democratic Change party.
There were rocks and debris strewn throughout the area and at least 100 Liberian and United Nations soldiers had descended on the neighbourhood to secure the perimeter.
The reason for the violence was not immediately clear but Liberia`s opposition leader has called on supporters to boycott Tuesday`s runoff. The move will not prevent incumbent Ellen Johnson Sirleaf from winning, but it could undercut the credibility of the election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter