Deadly riot breaks out in Liberia day before vote
Monrovia: At least one person is dead in Liberia after rioting broke out at the headquarters of the country`s main opposition party one day before a presidential runoff.
A news agency photographer saw the body of a man, his head bloodied, lying at the headquarters of the Congress for Democratic Change party.
There were rocks and debris strewn throughout the area and at least 100 Liberian and United Nations soldiers had descended on the neighbourhood to secure the perimeter.
The reason for the violence was not immediately clear but Liberia`s opposition leader has called on supporters to boycott Tuesday`s runoff. The move will not prevent incumbent Ellen Johnson Sirleaf from winning, but it could undercut the credibility of the election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter