Deadly riot breaks out in Liberia day before vote
Monrovia: At least one person is dead in Liberia after rioting broke out at the headquarters of the country`s main opposition party one day before a presidential runoff.
A news agency photographer saw the body of a man, his head bloodied, lying at the headquarters of the Congress for Democratic Change party.
There were rocks and debris strewn throughout the area and at least 100 Liberian and United Nations soldiers had descended on the neighbourhood to secure the perimeter.
The reason for the violence was not immediately clear but Liberia`s opposition leader has called on supporters to boycott Tuesday`s runoff. The move will not prevent incumbent Ellen Johnson Sirleaf from winning, but it could undercut the credibility of the election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj