Deadly riot breaks out in Liberia day before vote
Monrovia: At least one person is dead in Liberia after rioting broke out at the headquarters of the country`s main opposition party one day before a presidential runoff.
A news agency photographer saw the body of a man, his head bloodied, lying at the headquarters of the Congress for Democratic Change party.
There were rocks and debris strewn throughout the area and at least 100 Liberian and United Nations soldiers had descended on the neighbourhood to secure the perimeter.
The reason for the violence was not immediately clear but Liberia`s opposition leader has called on supporters to boycott Tuesday`s runoff. The move will not prevent incumbent Ellen Johnson Sirleaf from winning, but it could undercut the credibility of the election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday