Deadly tornadoes, storms hit US Midwest; 6 killed
Zee Media Bureau/ Neha Attre
Chicago: Powerful tornadoes struck US Midwest on Sunday reportedly killing six people and injuring hundreds others with the death toll reportedly expected to rise further, according to authorities.
The deadly tornadoes and storms have caused massive destruction damaging buildings, disrupting power supply and grounding several flights in Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky.
While the exact number remains unclear, as many as 65 tornadoes have reportedly struck the area, majority of which were in Illinois, according to the website of National Weather Service.
Several areas in the Washington were reportedly completely flattened by the tornadoes, the roofs of the houses were ripped off and cars were crushed. Tornado warnings were issued in Indiana and Kentucky.
Illionois has been stated as the worst-affected state where five people were reported dead.
The casualties include one person in Washington town while two other people were killed when a tornado hit their farmhouse.
The storm is moving at a speed of 111 km/h (68mph) and is headed towards east.
An alert has been issued by the National Weather Service for several areas in central US warning people that severe thunderstorms, strong winds, tornadoes and hails are expected in several states.
The tornadoes are a result of a fast-moving storm system accompanied by thunderstorms and winds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest