Death for killer of Chinese family planning officials: Report
Beijing: China on Thursday sentenced a man to death for murdering two family planning officials, state media said, in a case highlighting the tensions caused by the country`s birth restrictions.
A court in the southwestern province of Guangxi found He Shenguo guilty of stabbing the officials to death in Dongxing city last July, state broadcaster CCTV said.
He had "illegally fathered a fourth child", the broadcaster added. China restricts most couples to having one child under regulations introduced in the late 1970s.
Authorities use permits, fines, and in some cases forced sterilisations and late-term abortions to enforce the rules, sometimes brutally, especially in poorer provinces such as Guangxi.
He had not paid fines levied against him for fathering the extra children, reports said last year, adding that several other people were injured in the attack.
China says the rules, often known as the "one child policy" prevented food shortages and laid the foundations for the country`s recent decades-long economic boom.
Critics argue it has contributed to the gender imbalance in China, where almost 118 boys were born for every 100 girls in 2012.
The ruling Communist party said in November that couples would be allowed to have two offspring if one of the parents was an only child.
Critics have said the adjustment will not be enough to tackle China`s growing demographic problems -- including an ageing population -- as comparatively few couples will qualify for the exception.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’