Death for three lifers who fled from prison in China
Beijing: Three life convicts, who had
escaped from prison killing a guard in the process, only to be
recaptured later, were sentenced to death on Tuesday in China`s
inner Mongolia region.
The three men - Qiao Haiqiang, Dong Jiaji and Li
Hongbin - were sentenced to death and stripped of their
political rights for life in the sentence handed down by the
Hohhot Intermediate People`s Court, Xinhua reported.
The three stood trial on charges of using violence to
escape prison, robbery and kidnapping in Hohhot, the capital
city of northern China`s Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
On October 17 last year, four inmates in their 20`s
serving life sentences killed a guard, stole his uniform and
wallet, and escaped the city`s No 2 Prison in a hijacked taxi.
They later commandeered a rural wagon and took a
hostage when the taxi ran out of gas.
The escape prompted a three-day manhunt involving
thousands of police officers.
Police shot and killed one of the four convicts and
recaptured the other three.
Only one of the three, Li Hongbin, lodged an appeal.
Police arrested the head of the prison and six other
officials and guards for negligence shortly after the escape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi