Death row Sudanese Christian `apostate` freed: Lawyer
Khartoum: A Sudanese Christian who gave birth in prison after being sentenced to hang for apostasy was freed today, one of her lawyers said.
Official media confirmed that an appeal court annulled the earlier verdict against Meriam Yahia Ibrahim Ishag, 26.
Her case sparked an outcry from Western governments and rights groups after a judge sentenced her to death on May 15.
Almost one million people appealed to save her life on the Change.Org petition website.
"Meriam was released just about an hour ago," the lawyer Mohanad Mustafa told AFP today afternoon.
"She`s now out of prison," he said.
Born to a Muslim father and an Ethiopian Orthodox Christian mother, Ishag was convicted under Islamic sharia law that has been in force in Sudan since 1983 and outlaws conversions on pain of death.
Her lawyers appealed the verdict.
Today the higher court "issued a judgement on release of the prisoner Abrar Al-Hadi Mohamed Abdalla and dismissing the decree issued earlier by the first instance court," the official SUNA news agency reported, using her father`s Muslim name.
Twelve days after the initial ruling, Ishag gave birth to a daughter at the women`s prison in Khartoum`s twin city of Omdurman.
She had been shackled during pregnancy, Mustafa said.
A few days after the birth Ishag`s husband, Daniel Wani, told AFP he did not believe she would be freed.
Repeated attempts to reach him today were unsuccessful.
The couple`s 20-month-old son was also incarcerated with Ishag and their daughter.
European Union leaders called for revocation of the "inhumane verdict," while US Secretary of State John Kerry urged Khartoum to repeal its laws banning Muslims from converting.
British Prime Minister David Cameron said the way she had been treated was "barbaric and has no place in today`s world".
"It`s great," a Sudanese church source said of her release, after last week expressing optimism that she would be freed because of international pressure on Sudan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof