Death sentence upheld for baby killer in China
Beijing: A Chinese court on Wednesday upheld a lower court`s verdict to sentence a man to death for killing a two-month-old baby girl after stealing a car in which the infant was in.
Provincial Higher People`s Court in northeast China`s Jilin Province upheld the verdict the Changchun Intermediate People`s Court in which Zhou Xijun, 49, was sentenced to death for murdering the two-month-old baby on May 27.
Zhou appealed to the court for a more lenient judgement on the grounds that he surrendered to police and confessed his crimes.=
The court rejected his appeal for his extremely cruel means of committing the crimes and the serious consequences that resulted, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Zhou stole an SUV parked by the side of a road in Changchun, capital of Jilin Province. After finding a baby in the backseat of the vehicle, Zhou strangled the infant and buried her in the snow.
He turned himself in to police one day after massive searches for both the baby and the thief were launched by police and the public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears