Death sentence upheld for baby killer in China
Beijing: A Chinese court on Wednesday upheld a lower court`s verdict to sentence a man to death for killing a two-month-old baby girl after stealing a car in which the infant was in.
Provincial Higher People`s Court in northeast China`s Jilin Province upheld the verdict the Changchun Intermediate People`s Court in which Zhou Xijun, 49, was sentenced to death for murdering the two-month-old baby on May 27.
Zhou appealed to the court for a more lenient judgement on the grounds that he surrendered to police and confessed his crimes.
The court rejected his appeal for his extremely cruel means of committing the crimes and the serious consequences that resulted, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Zhou stole an SUV parked by the side of a road in Changchun, capital of Jilin Province. After finding a baby in the backseat of the vehicle, Zhou strangled the infant and buried her in the snow.
He turned himself in to police one day after massive searches for both the baby and the thief were launched by police and the public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’