Death sentence upheld for baby killer in China
Beijing: A Chinese court on Wednesday upheld a lower court`s verdict to sentence a man to death for killing a two-month-old baby girl after stealing a car in which the infant was in.
Provincial Higher People`s Court in northeast China`s Jilin Province upheld the verdict the Changchun Intermediate People`s Court in which Zhou Xijun, 49, was sentenced to death for murdering the two-month-old baby on May 27.
Zhou appealed to the court for a more lenient judgement on the grounds that he surrendered to police and confessed his crimes.
The court rejected his appeal for his extremely cruel means of committing the crimes and the serious consequences that resulted, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Zhou stole an SUV parked by the side of a road in Changchun, capital of Jilin Province. After finding a baby in the backseat of the vehicle, Zhou strangled the infant and buried her in the snow.
He turned himself in to police one day after massive searches for both the baby and the thief were launched by police and the public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy