Death toll climbs as heavy snow grips Japan
Tokyo: Heavy snow that has blanketed northern Japan for weeks, triggering avalanches and affecting transport networks, has left at least 55 people dead,
officials said on Thursday.
In one of the country`s coldest winters in recent years, 43 people have died as they removed snow from roofs or roads, while seven more were crushed by heavy loads of snow falling from buildings or other structures, the disaster management agency said.
Four people have died in avalanches, with the latest snow slide reported in northern Akita prefecture at a popular mountain resort known for therapeutic hot-spring baths, which left three holidaymakers dead.
The 40-metre-wide (130 feet) avalanche crushed three tents near a naturally heated rock site Wednesday.
Local police and rescuers continued their search on Thursday "to confirm there are no others buried in the snow", a local police spokeswoman said.
The extreme weather, which has filled evening news reports for weeks, has also claimed one other life, the government agency said.
Heavy snow has covered the northernmost island of Hokkaido and much of the north of the main Japanese island of Honshu, particularly affecting the country`s eastern side. In Sukayu, in northern Aomori prefecture, where the temperature went down as low as minus 9.2 degrees Celsius (15.4 degrees Fahrenheit) on Thursday, 4.29 metres (14 feet) of snow is lying.
Yamagata and Niigata prefectures have more than three metres of snow, the weather agency said.
Atrocious conditions have led to the cancellation of flights and numerous train delays, including parts of the shinkansen bullet train system.
In Aomori prefecture, a heavy snowstorm on Wednesday night stranded more than 100 cars on one road, forcing 250 people to seek shelter for the night in local schools, reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30