Death toll from Brazil mudslides climbs to 223
Rio de Janeiro: The number of deaths from mudslides in Rio de Janeiro state has climbed to 223, even as emergency workers continued to search for more bodies buried under mud and rocks.
Four bodies were found on Saturday under piles of earth and rubbish that rolled down the hillside and destroyed some 50 houses in Morro do Bumba town. The latest fatalities brought to 31 the number of confirmed deaths in that area, which is particularly unstable because it was built on top of an old garbage dump, officials said.
Dozens of mudslides have hit hillsides in the Rio metropolitan area since Monday, when the torrential rains that triggered the natural disasters began.
Based on estimates by firefighters, authorities said 100-150 bodies could still be buried under tonnes of earth, while rescue workers were battling nausea stemming from their exposure to the methane gas being given off by decomposing garbage.
The intermittent downpour in the region, meanwhile, gave way to a warm sun on Saturday which facilitated the work of the rescue teams.
According to firefighters, of the 223 deaths from mudslides over the past five days, 140 have occurred in Niteroi, 63 in Rio de Janeiro, 16 in Sao Gonzalo and the other four in Petropolis, Nilopolis, Paracambi and Mage cities.
The situation is "calamitous" and more than 200 families will be immediately relocated because of the danger of another deadly mudslide, Rio de Janeiro Governor Sergio Cabral said on Saturday.
Over 50,000 people have been affected by the torrential rains, flooding and mudslides throughout Rio de Janeiro state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!