Nairobi: Death toll from a residential building which collapsed in Kenya`s capital, Nairobi last Friday has risen to 22 after two more bodies were retrieved on Monday.
Kenya National Disaster Operation Centre director Colonel Nathan Kigotho said 135 people have been rescued so far from the six-story building, which collapsed due to heavy rains which pounded Nairobi on Friday evening, Xinhua reported.
"Rescuers retrieved two more bodies from the rubble on Monday bringing the death toll so far to 22. We have also rescued 135 people from the rubble and operation still continues," Kigotho said.
Kenya Red Cross Society said more than 70 people were still unaccounted for amid reports more people were still trapped under the wreckage of the building.
The agency said rescuers were racing against time to save the lives of people still trapped in the rubble. Those who had slight injuries were treated and discharged while some who suffered fractures in the arms and legs were still being treated at hospitals.
The owner of the building has been arrested and is due in court on Tuesday to face charges of manslaughter, according to the police.
The rescue team led by the military has started using heavy machinery to lift up debris from the site as hope of finding any more people alive diminishes.
Health Cabinet Secretary Cleopa Mailu said on Monday that the ministry is working in collaboration with the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) to ensure that all survivors receive ample treatment and medical care.