Death toll from Philippines typhoon crosses 6,000
Manila: The number of people killed from typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines crossed 6,000, authorities said Friday.
The total number of those who perished from the typhoon that hit most parts of the central Philippines Nov 8 climbed to 6,009, while 1,779 are missing, Xinhua quoted Philippines` National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) executive director Eduardo del Rosario as saying.
The number of injured are 27,022, he added.
Of the more than 16 million people who were affected, 3.9 million were displaced and are at evacuation centres, Rosario said.
The Philippine government earlier said that bunkhouses or temporary shelters which could accommodate almost 4,000 families would be ready before Christmas in central Philippine region of Eastern Visayas.
The total damages to infrastructure and agriculture was pegged at 35.5 billion pesos (about USD 803.17 million).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE