Death toll from Tanzania building collapse shoots up to 17
Dar es Salam: The death toll from a 16-storey building`s collapse in Tanzania`s Dar es Salaam shot up to 17 on Saturday, with many still remain unaccounted for.
The search operations are on and 18 people have survived the collapse, said an official according to a BBC report.
Over 45 people including residents and school children are among those missing, adds the report.
The accident occurred at 8.30 am when a 16 storey under construct building, situated at the junction of Indira Gandhi Street and Morogoro Road, collapsed with a loud thud.
Rescuers worked round the clock to pull out people from the debris, as local television stations reported over 60 people were killed in the grisly accident.
Excavators were being used to remove debris while the rescuers were poorly equipped, making the rescue mission slow and painful.
Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete visited the accident site along with his wife Mama Salma Kikwete.
Suleiman Kova, the police commander in charge of Dar es Salaam says the building was in the final stages of its construction and it did not have tenants. Most of the people caught up in the collapse of the 12-story building were passing by.
In recent years building collapses have become more frequent in East African countries. In neighboring Kenya, experts say because of high demand for housing in Nairobi, some property developers often bypass building regulations to cut costs and maximize profits.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra