Death toll from torrential rain in Brazil rises to 16
Brasilia: The death toll from torrential weekend rain in northeastern Brazil has risen from 11 to 16, local authorities said on Tuesday.
"Our latest toll is 16 dead and one still missing," a Civil Defense spokesman told a news agency.
An official statement said 202 homes were destroyed and more than 800 people had to be evacuated in Lajedinho, a town of 4,000 people some 355 kilometers (221 miles) from Salvador, the capital of Bahia state.
Governor Jaques Wagner said many stores and even the town hall were affected and called for rebuilding to begin without delay.
He also expressed concern about sanitary conditions in the town, where some areas, according to residents, were under two meters (6.6 feet) of water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan