Death toll from torrential rain in Brazil rises to 16
Brasilia: The death toll from torrential weekend rain in northeastern Brazil has risen from 11 to 16, local authorities said on Tuesday.
"Our latest toll is 16 dead and one still missing," a Civil Defense spokesman told a news agency.
An official statement said 202 homes were destroyed and more than 800 people had to be evacuated in Lajedinho, a town of 4,000 people some 355 kilometers (221 miles) from Salvador, the capital of Bahia state.
Governor Jaques Wagner said many stores and even the town hall were affected and called for rebuilding to begin without delay.
He also expressed concern about sanitary conditions in the town, where some areas, according to residents, were under two meters (6.6 feet) of water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden