Death toll in Brazil fire raised to 234
Santa Maria: A state forensics department has raised the death toll from a nightclub fire in Brazil to 234 people.
Local authorities earlier said 231 people died in the blaze, but the Rio Grande do Sul state raised the number today to account for three additional victims whose names didn`t appear on the original list.
One of the victims had originally been confused with another person with a similar name. Another was identified early Sunday but didn`t appear on a previous list.
The blaze broke out early Sunday at a packed nightclub in Santa Maria, a college town of about 260,000 in southern Brazil. Police say early investigations point to pyrotechnics used by a band as the likely cause of the fire.
Most of the victims died from smoke inhalation. More than 122 injured people remain hospitalized.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report