Death toll in Brazil fire raised to 234
Santa Maria: A state forensics department has raised the death toll from a nightclub fire in Brazil to 234 people.
Local authorities earlier said 231 people died in the blaze, but the Rio Grande do Sul state raised the number today to account for three additional victims whose names didn`t appear on the original list.
One of the victims had originally been confused with another person with a similar name. Another was identified early Sunday but didn`t appear on a previous list.
The blaze broke out early Sunday at a packed nightclub in Santa Maria, a college town of about 260,000 in southern Brazil. Police say early investigations point to pyrotechnics used by a band as the likely cause of the fire.
Most of the victims died from smoke inhalation. More than 122 injured people remain hospitalized.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award