Death toll in China mine blast rise to 26
Beijing: With the recovery of five more
bodies, the death toll in the gas explosion that hit a coal
mine in China`s central Henan province rose to 26 today while
11 others are still trapped underground.
Rescuers continue to battle thick coal dust as they
attempt to reach the 11 missing but the gas leak has spread to
most of the mine making it difficult for them.
The miners are believed to have been trapped underground
after a blast occurred yesterday in the mine situated in
Yuzhou city of the province at 6 am local time, a spokesman
for the rescue headquarters said.
A total of 276 miners were working underground when the
accident happened and 239 escaped.
More than 70 rescuers are working in shifts despite a
high density of gas underground, which is hindering the
Earlier reports said 16 miners have been located, but
rescuers must clear the coal dust from the shaft first.
Ventilation has been resumed in the pit, the official
Xinhua news agency reported last night.
An initial investigation showed that more than 2,500
tonnes of coal dust was in the pit after gas burst, said Du
Bo, an engineer with one of the mine`s parent companies.
Du said the accident occurred when workers were taking
measures to prevent gas bursts.
The same mine reported another gas and coal burst on Aug
1, 2008, which left 23 miners dead.
Mine accidents have become very common in China following
immense demand for coal to back up energy demand.
China has recently announced new set of safety rules
asking the Mangers of the mines to accompany the miners but
the accidents continued unabated.
China`s mining industry is considered the most
dangerous in the world, with more than 2,600 workers killed in
accidents last year alone.
More than 1,000 small, illegal coal mines were shut
down this year as part of efforts to improve safety standards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'