Beijing: One more person died due to bird flu in Shanghai, taking the death toll from the deadly H7N9 strain to 11 in China, while two new cases were also reported in the eastern metropolis pushing the total number of infected to 43.
A 74-year-old man in Shanghai who tested positive for the virus on April 6, died last night after treatment failed, official media reported.
So far 11 persons died out the deadly H7N9 virus in the last few weeks after it surfaced in parts of China.
Also Shanghai, the worst hit so far with 20 cases reported two more today, while Zhejiang Province which also reported several cases announced three more today.
Shanghai health officials said both patients who were diagnosed are receiving medical treatment.
Sixteen people who had close contact with them have not exhibited abnormal symptoms, according to the statement.
The news of the death of one more person and two more new cases of H7N9 came as the state-run CCTV said no new cases were reported in the country today, making it a rare day since the outbreak was noticed last month.
Meanwhile, farmers of the chicken and duck farms began culling the birds, specially new ones stating that they cannot afford to take care of the new arrivals as sales have fallen completely causing serious losses.