Death toll in Nigeria`s suicide blast rises to 70
Abuja: At least 70 people have been killed in a suicide attack that struck a bus station in Nigeria`s northern city of Kano, though official records show a much lower toll.
A local television station, Channels, quoted Tobias Idika, the president of ethnic Ibo organisation in the city, Ohanaeze and a eyewitness as saying that 70 persons have been confirmed dead in yesterday`s attack.
"Five buses were fully loaded with passengers ready to take off when a Volkswagen golf car laden with explosives drove into the park and exploded. At this moment, 70 people are confirmed dead, most of them travellers," Idika said.
However, the state commissioner of police, Musa Daura said only 22 people were found dead while 65 were injured.
Police say two militants drove into the station, located in the Christian neighbourhood of Sabon Gari, and blew their vehicle. No group has claimed responsibility for the bombing so far.
Northern Nigeria has witnessed many killings by Islamic militant group Boko Haram since 2006. It has killed thousands through suicide attacks, bombings and shootouts.
The population of the secular state of Nigeria, follows two major religions; Islam and Christianity.
Christians are found mainly in the south while Muslims are predominant in the north. They share the 150 million population of the country in roughly equal proportion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read