Death toll in Nigeria`s suicide blast rises to 70

Last Updated: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 16:44

Abuja: At least 70 people have been killed in a suicide attack that struck a bus station in Nigeria`s northern city of Kano, though official records show a much lower toll.

A local television station, Channels, quoted Tobias Idika, the president of ethnic Ibo organisation in the city, Ohanaeze and a eyewitness as saying that 70 persons have been confirmed dead in yesterday`s attack.

"Five buses were fully loaded with passengers ready to take off when a Volkswagen golf car laden with explosives drove into the park and exploded. At this moment, 70 people are confirmed dead, most of them travellers," Idika said.

However, the state commissioner of police, Musa Daura said only 22 people were found dead while 65 were injured.

Police say two militants drove into the station, located in the Christian neighbourhood of Sabon Gari, and blew their vehicle. No group has claimed responsibility for the bombing so far.

Northern Nigeria has witnessed many killings by Islamic militant group Boko Haram since 2006. It has killed thousands through suicide attacks, bombings and shootouts.

The population of the secular state of Nigeria, follows two major religions; Islam and Christianity.

Christians are found mainly in the south while Muslims are predominant in the north. They share the 150 million population of the country in roughly equal proportion.

PTI



First Published: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 11:52

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus