Death toll in Spanish rail accident lowered to 12
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 08:44
  
Barcelona: Several hundred people gathered in Barcelona late Saturday to mourn a group of young partygoers killed by an express train in northeast Spain, and called for an investigation into how the accident happened.

The victims were hit by the train as they crossed railway lines to reach a beach festival shortly before midnight on Wednesday. Preliminary forensics determined 12 people were killed - one less than previously calculated, based on the body parts found, officials said. At least 14 others were injured.

Around 500 people gathered last night at Barcelona's Arco de Triunfo to call on "everyone concerned to back a thorough investigation to ensure that such a tragedy does not happen again”, said Ecuadorean Ambassador Galo Chiriboga, who organised the event.

Ten of those killed have been identified, with five coming from Ecuador, two from Bolivia and two from Columbia. The nationality of one person has not been released, and investigators are still working to identify two others.

The Superior Court of Justice of Catalonia asked that the train's black box be made available to accident investigators. At the time about 700 people had just deboarded a train and were going through an underground station crossing on their way to beach bonfires in Castelldefels, south of Barcelona, for the popular feast day of St John held two days after the summer solstice.

With the tunnel packed with people, some tried to get ahead by jumping onto the tracks, and were hit by the fast-moving train, officials said.

Some of the revellers have claimed there were not enough signs in the tunnel showing the route to the exit - a claim officials have denied.

PTI


First Published: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 08:44


comments powered by Disqus