Death toll in Syria`s war tops 160,000: Activists
Beirut: An activist group says the number of people who have died in the Syrian conflict so far has exceeded 160,000.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said today that it has documented 162,402 deaths since the fighting started in March 2011.
The Observatory says the figure includes civilians, rebels and members of the Syrian military. It also includes militiamen fighting alongside President Bashar Assad`s forces, as well as foreign fighters battling with the rebels for Assad`s ouster.
The Observatory bases its tally on information it gets from a network of activists on the ground in Syria.
The UN has stopped updating its tally of the Syrian dead, saying it can no longer verify the sources of information.
The UN`s last count in late July was 100,000 dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round
- Rio Olympics 2016: Five Indian athletes who redefined 'woman power'
- Govt wants unions to reconsider their strike plan