Death toll in Yemen`s suicide bombing rises to 101
Sana’a: The death toll in yesterday’s suicide attack during a military parade in Yemen mounted to over 101 soldiers reported dead and more than 220 injured on Tuesday.
While UN condemned the attacks calling it “heinous”, President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi in a statement said, “The war on terror will continue until it is completely destroyed regardless of the sacrifices."
The incident took place when a suicide bomber, dressed in a military uniform, blew himself up in the middle of the battalion that was rehearsing for an Army parade marking the 22nd anniversary of the unification of north and south Yemen.
The parade was scheduled for today to mark Yemen`s 22nd anniversary of reunification.
Yemeni officials said that though it was too early to say who was behind the attacks, they confirmed that the attack bore the hallmark of the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, the Yemen`s resurgent terrorist off-shoot.
The explosion occurred when Yemen`s Defence Minister and Chief of staff of the Army arrived at the square. They, however, survived the suicide bombing.
Monday`s attack is most deadly one since President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi took over power in February. He pledged that large-scale attacks will continue to strike al Qaeda bastions "until we have eradicated their presence in every village”.
(With Agencies’ inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video