Death toll now 13 in Casablanca buildings collapse
Casablanca: The death toll after three buildings collapsed in Morocco`s largest city and commercial capital Casablanca rose to 13 today, officials said.
"Five bodies were recovered from the rubble including two children and Moroccan actress Amal Maarouf and her mother," they said, quoted by the MAP news agency.
The toll from Friday`s tragedy could still increase "because there are people under the rubble".
A previous provisional toll yesterday spoke of eight dead and some 60 injured, with 17 still in hospital.
It was still not known why the three apartment blocks in El-Hank district collapsed.
Residents told AFP said the accident probably resulted from "haphazard works" on the lower floors of the buildings, as well as a general lack of maintenance.
An official inquiry has begun, and the residents of three adjoining buildings have been evacuated as a precaution.
Firemen managed to rescue at least 55 people, including six children, after the apartment blocks crumpled.
King Mohamed VI, who happened to be in the city at the time, visited the scene of the disaster and the injured in hospital.
Casablanca has a population of around five million, with many living in squalid conditions in sprawling slums, some exposed to serious safety hazards.
Two people died at the end of 2012 when a building came down after bad weather.
The housing minister said at the time that between 4,000 and 7,000 buildings in Casablanca were at risk of collapse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM