Dec 25 bomber preached peace before botched attempt
Sana’a: Hours before heading for his mission to blow up the Detroit-bound Flight 253 on Christmas Day with 289 people aboard, Nigerian bomber Umar Abdulmutallab cleaned his flat spotlessly neat, prayed loudly and pretended to be wanting world peace, his flatmates have revealed.
"His room was unusually spotless. He had cleaned it thoroughly. Everything was gone, there was nothing left over," News of the World quoted Matthew Salmon, one of his flatmates, as saying.
"The walls here are thick - but Umar`s prayers echoed around the building. He spoke of peace - and told me he saw a world where people would live in harmony and there would be no need to kill each other any more. I was stunned and angry when I learned what he`d tried to do," Salmon added.
Weeks before setting off on his deadly journey, the 23-year-old terrorist locked himself in his room for hours at a time.
"He spent all his time locked in his room. We would get up and he would be in his room and would still be there when we came home in the evening. Five times a day I`d here him praying," said Canadian Salmon, 27, studying Arabic and Islamic Law here.
Salmon said Abdulmutallab always wore full Islamic garb on rare occasions when he came out of his room.
The only time Salmon ever saw Abdulmutallab venture out of the halls was to go to the city`s rundown Al-Hurqan Mosque, shunning the city`s main mosques.
"He only ever went out on Fridays. He would always go to the mosque at noon and come back an hour later and go straight back to his room.”
No imam of the Al-Hurqan mosque was available for comment.
There are fears that this is where Abdulmutallab could have been radicalised by firebrand clerics or al Qaeda recruiters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what