Decision on Iran sanction waiver soon: US to India
Washington: With the deadline on Iran sanctions waiver to countries including India ending this month, the US has carefully documented figures of India`s oil import from Iran and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will soon take the final decision on this, a top US diplomat said.
"The decision in this regard would be announced this month," US Ambassador to India, Nancy Powell, told a select audience at a Washington-based think tank.
In her first public appearance here after becoming the US Ambassador to India, Powell, however, didn`t give any inkling what the decision might be.
"I think there should be decisions this month. As you know, the deadline is at the end of the month, and I am anticipating that those will be out. We have very carefully documented in cooperation with the Government of India, using a variety of sources on what the statistics are. And so I think that that decision is pending," Powell said in response to a question from Indian American Richard Verma at the Centre for American Progress.
The final decision in this regard has to be made by the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
According to the Iran sanctions Act, in order get waiver from the US sanctions, the country should have "significantly" reduced import of oil from Iran.
Powell said Iran would be discussed during the next week`s India-US Strategic Dialogue to be co-chaired by Hillary and India`s External Affairs Minister SM Krishna.
"I think there will be a review in terms of the next steps in the dialogue with the P-5 plus one that will meet in, I believe it`s Moscow, at the end of next or the following week, and I think looking at that, assessing where those talks are going. Iranian visitors were recently in Delhi, so I am sure that the foreign minister will be briefing on those," she said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire