Defections, not war, will oust Gaddafi: Italy
Rome: Defections among Muammar Gaddafi`s closest associates rather than Western military action will oust the Libyan leader, Italy`s foreign minister said on Thursday.
Franco Frattini, who will meet a leading member of the Libyan rebels on Monday, was speaking after news that Libyan Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa, one of Gaddafi`s closest advisers, defected and flew to Britain.
"It is not through actions of war that we can make Gaddafi leave, but rather through strong international pressure to encourage defections by people close to him," Frattini told Canale 5 television.
"(Those people) understand already or will understand very soon that the regime is isolated internationally and that Gaddafi cannot be part of national reconciliation," he said.
Italy, which was Gaddafi`s closest ally in Europe before fighting in its former colony broke out last month, only reluctantly joined military operations earlier against his forces this month, feeling sidelined by France and Britain.
Frattini said he was in close contact with the rebels fighting to end Gaddafi`s four-decade long rule, and that he would hold talks with Ali Essawi, the rebel official in charge of foreign affairs, in Rome on Monday.
He also reiterated Italy`s view that Gaddafi should go in exile and urged the African Union to find a country that would give him asylum.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp