Defections, not war, will oust Gaddafi: Italy
Rome: Defections among Muammar Gaddafi`s closest associates rather than Western military action will oust the Libyan leader, Italy`s foreign minister said on Thursday.
Franco Frattini, who will meet a leading member of the Libyan rebels on Monday, was speaking after news that Libyan Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa, one of Gaddafi`s closest advisers, defected and flew to Britain.
"It is not through actions of war that we can make Gaddafi leave, but rather through strong international pressure to encourage defections by people close to him," Frattini told Canale 5 television.
"(Those people) understand already or will understand very soon that the regime is isolated internationally and that Gaddafi cannot be part of national reconciliation," he said.
Italy, which was Gaddafi`s closest ally in Europe before fighting in its former colony broke out last month, only reluctantly joined military operations earlier against his forces this month, feeling sidelined by France and Britain.
Frattini said he was in close contact with the rebels fighting to end Gaddafi`s four-decade long rule, and that he would hold talks with Ali Essawi, the rebel official in charge of foreign affairs, in Rome on Monday.
He also reiterated Italy`s view that Gaddafi should go in exile and urged the African Union to find a country that would give him asylum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song