Defendant pleads not guilty to video parlor arson in Osaka
Osaka: A 47-year-old man today pleaded
not guilty at the Osaka District Court to charges of arson and
murder in connection with a fire at a video-viewing
establishment in Osaka nearly a year ago that left 16 people
dead and four others injured.
"I did not commit arson," Kazuhiro Ogawa said at the
first hearing of his trial, at which his defense lawyers
argued it was possible that the fire broke out in a different
room from the one occupied by Ogawa and the real culprit
remains at large.
The defense team also argued it is highly likely that a
cigarette caused the fire even it is assumed that the fire
originated in Ogawa`s room.
Prosecutors contended that Ogawa felt his life was
meaningless at the time of the incident after quitting his
job and getting divorced, saying he felt "too miserable to
live" and committed the crime.
"(Ogawa) paused for a moment to think what would happen
to the other customers, but he was so desperate that he set
fire while `feeling sorry for those would die along with
me,`" according to the prosecutors.
Investigators said previously that Ogawa had admitted to
the arson charges immediately after his arrest. The defense
team is arguing against the validity of Ogawa`s initial
confession and is planning to use a DVD recording of his
questioning as evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'