Defendant won`t testify in NJ webcam spying trial
New Brunwsick: A former Rutgers University student accused of using a webcam to spy on his roommate`s intimate encounter with another man won`t take the witness stand in his own defense, his lawyer told the judge as he rested his case.
Prosecutors presented about 20 witnesses over 10 days as they built a case against Dharun Ravi. Defense lawyers called nine lawyers in two days.
The 20-year-old Ravi is charged with 15 criminal counts, including bias intimidation and invasion of privacy. Bias intimidation is a hate crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison in New Jersey.
His roommate, Tyler Clementi, committed suicide by jumping off the George Washington Bridge in September 2010, just days after the intimate encounter. His death brought widespread attention to the difficulties that can be faced by young gays.
Ravi isn`t charged in Clementi`s death.
Jury deliberations could begin sometime Tuesday. Lawyers` summations are scheduled for 9 a.m.
Lawyers were expected to spend part of Monday afternoon haggling over details of the instructions that will be given to jurors.
Judge Glenn Berman said it`s tricky because both invasion of privacy and bias intimidation laws are relatively new and there are some issues that need to be worked out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal