Delaware is 11th US state to legalise gay marriage
Washington: Delaware has become the 11th US state to legalize same-sex marriage after Governor Jack Markell signed the legislation into law immediately following a 12-9 vote.
Prior to signing HB 75, Markell took to Twitter to congratulate those who fought for marriage equality in his state.
The Huffington Post quoted Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) as saying that it is "a truly historic day" for Delaware. He said the passage of HB 75 ushers in a new era of equality in the state and marks an important moment in the state`s history.
According to reports, the first same-sex couples will be allowed to tie the knot on July 1.
Opponents, including many Delaware religious leaders, argue same-sex marriage redefines and destroys a centuries-old institution that is a building block of society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM