Delaware is 11th US state to legalise gay marriage
Washington: Delaware has become the 11th US state to legalize same-sex marriage after Governor Jack Markell signed the legislation into law immediately following a 12-9 vote.
Prior to signing HB 75, Markell took to Twitter to congratulate those who fought for marriage equality in his state.
The Huffington Post quoted Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) as saying that it is "a truly historic day" for Delaware. He said the passage of HB 75 ushers in a new era of equality in the state and marks an important moment in the state`s history.
According to reports, the first same-sex couples will be allowed to tie the knot on July 1.
Opponents, including many Delaware religious leaders, argue same-sex marriage redefines and destroys a centuries-old institution that is a building block of society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- As Virat Kohli and co prepare for WI tour, MS Dhoni enjoys bike ride in Ranchi rain
- Ramayana had another heroine besides SITA – Know more about her contributions
- Samajwadi Party 'goondaraj' in UP? Azam Khan slaps Project Engineer
- This gene puts you at increased kidney disease risk
- 7th Pay Commission: Here's why the latest bonanza won't amuse govt staffers much