Delaware is 11th US state to legalise gay marriage
Washington: Delaware has become the 11th US state to legalize same-sex marriage after Governor Jack Markell signed the legislation into law immediately following a 12-9 vote.
Prior to signing HB 75, Markell took to Twitter to congratulate those who fought for marriage equality in his state.
The Huffington Post quoted Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) as saying that it is "a truly historic day" for Delaware. He said the passage of HB 75 ushers in a new era of equality in the state and marks an important moment in the state`s history.
According to reports, the first same-sex couples will be allowed to tie the knot on July 1.
Opponents, including many Delaware religious leaders, argue same-sex marriage redefines and destroys a centuries-old institution that is a building block of society.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know