Demand for gas masks triple in Israel
Tel Aviv: The demand for gas masks almost tripled in Israel in January amid concerns about the safety of the Syrian chemical weapons stockpile.
The Israel Postal Service, charged with free distribution of non-conventional warfare protection equipment, said the number of Israelis who decided to update their gas masks has almost tripled in the past month, according to the Ynet news portal.
The postal service said the number of daily orders has spiked from an average of 200 a day to 500 a day.
ABC (atomic, biological, and chemical) kits have been distributed in Israel since 1991.
They contain a gas mask and atropine pens, which are periodically updated according to their respective expiration dates.
The demand was possibly fuelled by concerns expressed by top state and defence officials over the possibility that radical groups may gain control of Syria`s chemical weapons stockpile.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has expressed concern about the weapons of mass destruction in Syria, with the country "increasingly coming apart" as a result of the 22-month-long civil conflict.
Air Force chief Major General Amir Eshel has warned that "given (Syria`s) massive arsenal, Israel may find itself dealing with non-conventional weapons on its borders".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!