Demjanjuk`s lawyer to defend former Israeli Prez
Jerusalem: An associate of the Israeli attorney who defended an accused Nazi-era war criminal says that the maverick lawyer will defend disgraced former Israeli President Moshe Katsav.
Attorney Tal Malik said Sunday that Yoram Sheftel will represent Katsav, who plans to appeal a seven year sentence for rape. Katsav began serving in December.
In the 1990s, Sheftel overturned an Israeli court`s death sentence for John Demjanjuk. In 2011, a German court convicted Demjanjuk of being an accessory to the murder of 28,000 people while guarding a death camp in Poland.
Katsav was sentenced in 2010 of raping an employee when he was a cabinet minister in 1998, and of sexual offenses involving two other women when he was president from 2000 to 2007. Sheftel denounced his conviction as a farce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know