Demjanjuk`s lawyer to defend former Israeli Prez
Jerusalem: An associate of the Israeli attorney who defended an accused Nazi-era war criminal says that the maverick lawyer will defend disgraced former Israeli President Moshe Katsav.
Attorney Tal Malik said Sunday that Yoram Sheftel will represent Katsav, who plans to appeal a seven year sentence for rape. Katsav began serving in December.
In the 1990s, Sheftel overturned an Israeli court`s death sentence for John Demjanjuk. In 2011, a German court convicted Demjanjuk of being an accessory to the murder of 28,000 people while guarding a death camp in Poland.
Katsav was sentenced in 2010 of raping an employee when he was a cabinet minister in 1998, and of sexual offenses involving two other women when he was president from 2000 to 2007. Sheftel denounced his conviction as a farce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company