Democratic Party gives key responsibility to Bera for polls
Washington: Indian-American Congressman Ami Bera has been given a key responsibility in the Democratic party to reach out to the immigrant community in the run-up to the 2014 Congressional elections.
48-year-old Bera, a physician by profession, has been made one of the two chairs of the New America Council along with Congressman Keith Ellison.
New Americas Council Chairs will lead outreach efforts to immigrant communities and other new Americans, critical parts of the rising American electorate that is crucial to Democrats` success in 2014, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) Chairman Steve Israel said in a statement.
He also announced leadership team with the Tribal Council, LGBT Council, Labor Council and Defense Council for the 2013-2014 cycle.
"The men and women in our leadership represent every corner of this great country, and we`re so proud that our caucus truly reflects what America looks like," Israel said.
"Thanks to our diversity and commitment to the middle class, we won more votes than Republicans in 2012, and looking ahead to 2014, the leaders of our Tribal Council, New Americas Council, LGBT Council, Labor Council, Defense Council, Latino Council and Women LEAD will continue to broaden our appeal to all Americans," he said.
Bera is the only Indian-American Congressmen serving in the current Congress.
He is also only the third Indian-American to have ever been elected to the US Congress.
Within a few months of being sworn in as a lawmaker, Bera has impressed his party leaders with his performances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- Must Read! Narayana Murthy's heartfelt letter to his daughter will make you miss your dad
- PM Modi meets Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS today
- AgustaWestland scam: Arvind Kejriwal asks Modi govt 'What are you waiting for?'
- Putin slams Russian space failures after delayed launch
- BJP wins mayoral polls in SDMC, EDMC