Demolition starts on US school where 26 killed
New York City: Demolition work has begun on a US elementary school where 20 children and six adults were killed during a massacre last December, an official said on Friday.
The Sandy Hook Elementary School killings on December 14 were one of the deadliest such shootings and led a push for tighter gun control laws in the United States.
A spokeswoman for the council in Newtown, Connecticut said the work would take up to five weeks and a new elementary school was expected to open in 2016.
"It started yesterday. The building itself will be demolished in pieces. The demolition will take four to five weeks," she told AFP.
"There will be a new elementary school that we expect will open in 2016," she said.
Adam Lanza, 20, took just five minutes to shoot his way into the school, murder his victims and kill himself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'