Demonstration march in NY to mark Tibet uprising
New York: A 2,000-person strong
demonstration marched on UN headquarters in New York to mark
the anniversary of Tibet`s failed revolt against Chinese rule.
The demonstration denouncing the treatment of Tibetans
began at the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday before heading uptown
to the United Nations headquarters.
Lhamo Tso, wife of the detained Tibetan documentary maker
Dhondup Wangchen, addressed the crowd, as she blamed Chinese rule for a wave of self-immolations by protesters in her
Then the march wrapped up with a candlelight vigil at
"We want the freedom of Tibet and the return of Dalai
Lama," said Sonam Gyatso, vice president of the Tibetan
Community of New York and New Jersey.
Tibet`s government-in-exile in India earlier blamed
China`s "hardline" leaders for a string of Tibetan
self-immolations as it marked the anniversary.
In the past year, more than 20 Tibetans, most of them
monks, have set themselves ablaze to protest Beijing`s rule,
sparking international condemnation of what critics call
religious and cultural repression.
Gyatso slammed China over the self-immolations, saying:
"They cannot tolerate Chinese repression."
China blames the Dalai Lama of inciting the
self-immolations in a bid to split Tibet from the rest of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan