Deported Roma girl, family attacked in Kosovo
Kosovo: A Roma schoolgirl, whose deportation from France sparked controversy, and her family were attacked on Sunday by unidentified assailants in Kosovo where they have been living since their eviction, police said.
"The Dibrani (family) were walking in Mitrovica with their children when they were attacked by unknown" people, a police officer, who requested to remain anonymous told.
The mother of 15-year-old Leonarda, Xhemaili, was "beaten and is in hospital while the children, who are traumatised, are at a police station," the officer said.
Leonarda`s father Resat Dibrani, 47, was at the hospital by his wife`s side.
"It shows that the Dibranis are not safe here," the officer said.
French President Francois Hollande yesterday offered Leonarda the chance to go back to France, but without her family.
Hollande`s offer was immediately rejected by the girl while her father said that the family, deported on October 9, would not be divided and would return to France by any means.
Leonarda Dibrani`s eviction caused an outcry in France because she was detained during a school trip before being deported with her family, and students took to the streets demanding she return and Interior Minister Manuel Valls resign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre