Deported Roma girl, family attacked in Kosovo
Kosovo: A Roma schoolgirl, whose deportation from France sparked controversy, and her family were attacked on Sunday by unidentified assailants in Kosovo where they have been living since their eviction, police said.
"The Dibrani (family) were walking in Mitrovica with their children when they were attacked by unknown" people, a police officer, who requested to remain anonymous told.
The mother of 15-year-old Leonarda, Xhemaili, was "beaten and is in hospital while the children, who are traumatised, are at a police station," the officer said.
Leonarda`s father Resat Dibrani, 47, was at the hospital by his wife`s side.
"It shows that the Dibranis are not safe here," the officer said.
French President Francois Hollande yesterday offered Leonarda the chance to go back to France, but without her family.
Hollande`s offer was immediately rejected by the girl while her father said that the family, deported on October 9, would not be divided and would return to France by any means.
Leonarda Dibrani`s eviction caused an outcry in France because she was detained during a school trip before being deported with her family, and students took to the streets demanding she return and Interior Minister Manuel Valls resign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31