Deserter caught after 14 years on the run
Moscow: An army officer who deserted his unit after committing a series of robberies 14 years ago has been apprehended and is now in custody, the Investigative Committee said Tuesday.
Senior Lt. Alexei Yakunchikhin has been charged with carrying out a series of assaults and robberies as part of a crime gang in Russia`s Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad between September and November 1998.
In November 1999, fearing detention, he deserted his army unit and was only apprehended in the Russian republic of Chuvashia in late March 2013, the committee said in a statement.
The Kazan Garrison Military Court in Russia`s republic of Tatarstan has ordered Yakunchikhin to remain in custody pending trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar board Intermediate Result 2016 declared: Check BSEB 12th Result result at www.biharboard.ac.in, www.biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Chidambaram wonders if Modi govt 'deserves' RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan
- Iran`s supreme leader Khamenei warns of Western 'schemes' as new MPs meet
- Confusion prevails over surrender of top aide of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander in Kashmir
- NASA to make second attempt to inflate expandable habitat on ISS