Deserter caught after 14 years on the run
Moscow: An army officer who deserted his unit after committing a series of robberies 14 years ago has been apprehended and is now in custody, the Investigative Committee said Tuesday.
Senior Lt. Alexei Yakunchikhin has been charged with carrying out a series of assaults and robberies as part of a crime gang in Russia`s Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad between September and November 1998.
In November 1999, fearing detention, he deserted his army unit and was only apprehended in the Russian republic of Chuvashia in late March 2013, the committee said in a statement.
The Kazan Garrison Military Court in Russia`s republic of Tatarstan has ordered Yakunchikhin to remain in custody pending trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO