Despite asylum, UK says it will extradite Assange
London: Soon after Ecuador announced that it had offered political asylum to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, Britain on Thursday said it was under "binding obligation" to extradite him to Sweden to face charges of sex offences.
The Foreign Office said on Twitter: "We are disappointed by the statement from Ecuador`s Foreign Minister that Ecuador has offered political asylum to Julian Assange.”
"We remain committed to a negotiated solution that allows us to carry out our obligations under the Extradition Act."
It said: "We shall carry out that obligation. The Ecuadorian Government`s decision this afternoon does not change that.”
"Under our law, with Mr Assange having exhausted all options of appeal UK authorities are under binding obligation to extradite him to Sweden."
The Foreign Office said it was "still committed to reaching a mutually acceptable solution" and added that throughout it had drawn Ecuador`s attention to relevant provisions of British our law.
Earlier, Britain said it had powers under the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act, 1987, to withdraw Ecuador embassy`s diplomatic status and then enter the building to arrest Assange and extradite him to Sweden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH