Despite asylum, UK says it will extradite Assange
London: Soon after Ecuador announced that it had offered political asylum to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, Britain on Thursday said it was under "binding obligation" to extradite him to Sweden to face charges of sex offences.
The Foreign Office said on Twitter: "We are disappointed by the statement from Ecuador`s Foreign Minister that Ecuador has offered political asylum to Julian Assange.”
"We remain committed to a negotiated solution that allows us to carry out our obligations under the Extradition Act."
It said: "We shall carry out that obligation. The Ecuadorian Government`s decision this afternoon does not change that.”
"Under our law, with Mr Assange having exhausted all options of appeal UK authorities are under binding obligation to extradite him to Sweden."
The Foreign Office said it was "still committed to reaching a mutually acceptable solution" and added that throughout it had drawn Ecuador`s attention to relevant provisions of British our law.
Earlier, Britain said it had powers under the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act, 1987, to withdraw Ecuador embassy`s diplomatic status and then enter the building to arrest Assange and extradite him to Sweden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP