Despite Obama gestures Muslims still distrust US: Poll
Washington: Distrust still lingers among a
majority of Muslim nations over US foreign policy and rabid
anti-Americanism persists despite recent overtures by
President Barack Obama, a new survey has indicated.
Obamamania, may be sweeping the rest of the world, but
it is not touching the bulk of the Muslim nations, a survey by
Washington-based Pew Foundation of 24 countries and the
Palestinian region has revealed.
"Large numbers continue to consider the US an enemy,
including big majorities in Pakistan (64 per cent) and the
Palestinian territories (77 per cent)," the report said.
"In predominantly Muslim nations, widespread concerns
about American policy and American power linger, and while
Obama is certainly viewed more favorably than his predecessor,
his popularity has translated into only modest improvements in
America`s overall image, and in some cases, no change at all,"
the Pew Foundation said in its report.
Fewer than 30 per cent of those surveyed express a
favourable view of the US, all of which are overwhelmingly
Muslim: Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan, the Palestinian territories
Many Muslims saw hidden motives in President George
Bush`s war on terror, such as protecting Israel, controlling
Middle Eastern oil, and targeting unfriendly Muslim nations.
Obama`s ratings in Western Europe which include France
and Germany are very high. There has been a surge in ratings
in Latin America, Africa, and much of Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Elli Avram looks red HOT in this latest picture!
- Haji Ali Dargah case: Expect a 'pro women' verdict from Bombay HC, says Trupti Desai
- Lenovo Vibe K5 2nd flash sale today; get it at Rs 6,999
- Rahul Gandhi condemns Istanbul airport attack, dubs it as ''cowardly attack on innocents''
- Watch: Meet Cozmo, a tiny robot with big brain and bigger personality!