Detained Nobel Peace Prize winner`s wife to challenge Chinese authorities over arrest
London: Liu Xia, wife of Noble peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo, is preparing a court challenge against the Chinese authorities for placing her under house arrest and to seek a retrial of her husband`s case.
Liu Xiaobo was jailed on subversion charges brought after he called for sweeping changes to Beijing`s one-party communist political system, the Guardian report.
On Friday, Liu Xia met with Beijing lawyers Mo Shaoping and Shang Baojun and handed them a letter authorizing them to prepare a legal petition that her husband`s case be reopened and heard in court.
One of Liu Xia`s lawyers Shang Baojun , said that her biggest worry at the moment is her brother as she feels guilty for causing trouble and negative influence to his family, driving her decision to take legal action.
Her brother, Liu Hui was recently sentenced to 11 years for a real-estate fraud.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata