Dewani detained in a secure mental health hospital
London: Indian-origin businessman accused
of ordering his Indo-Swedish wife`s murder on their honeymoon
in South Africa has been detained in a secure mental health
hospital, his lawyer said.
Shrien Dewani, 31, is held at Fromeside Clinic in
Bristol, Southwest England, under the Mental Health Act, his
lawyer Julian Knowles told Westminster Magistrates Court.
Dewani, who is facing extradition to South Africa for
his alleged part in the killing of his wife Anni Dewani, 28,
in Cape Town in November, was admitted to Fromeside clinic
after he was removed from another hospital for disruptive and
aggressive behaviour, BBC reported.
Court heard that he was suffering from severe
post-traumatic stress disorder following the shooting of Anni
Although he remains on bail, Dewani will not be able
to leave the hospital.
"Security is effected by staff, he has no ability to
leave," Knowles said.
District Judge Howard Riddle renewed Dewani`s 250,000
pound bail and said he will no longer have to wear an
electronic tag as he will be unable to leave the secure
Knowles indicated Dewani`s legal team would fight
extradition on the grounds of his poor mental health and
prison conditions in South Africa.
A full extradition hearing will begin on 3 May at
Belmarsh magistrates` court in south east London. Dewani was
not present in court today but he will have to attend his
He denies any wrongdoing.
The hearing will be split into two parts, with further
time allowed for a psychiatric report on Mr Dewani`s condition
to be carried out.
Anni, from Sweden, was shot when a cab the couple were
travelling in was hijacked. Her body was later found in the
abandoned car. Mr Dewani had been released unharmed.
Taxi driver Zola Tongo, 31, from Bothasig, Cape Town,
has been sentenced to 18 years in jail for murder, kidnapping,
robbery with aggravating circumstances and perverting the
course of justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's mushy love in 'Baar Baar Dekho' new still is just so aww!
- Bodo outfits to restart statehood movement on August 30