Dialogue with Islam, olive branch to China: Pope Francis
Vatican City: Pope Francis has called for more dialogue with Islam and offered an olive branch to China and other countries that don`t have diplomatic relations with the Holy See.
Francis met on Friday with ambassadors from the 180 countries that have diplomatic relations with the Holy See and told them he wanted to work for peace, the poor and to "build bridges" between peoples. He noted that even his title "pontiff" means bridge-builder.
Francis said it was important to intensify dialogue among different religions "particularly dialogue with Islam" and to deepen the church`s outreach to atheists.
He said he wanted to begin a "journey" with countries that don`t yet have diplomatic relations.
His predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, had made improving relations with China a priority, but tensions remain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price