Dialogue with Islam, olive branch to China: Pope Francis
Vatican City: Pope Francis has called for more dialogue with Islam and offered an olive branch to China and other countries that don`t have diplomatic relations with the Holy See.
Francis met on Friday with ambassadors from the 180 countries that have diplomatic relations with the Holy See and told them he wanted to work for peace, the poor and to "build bridges" between peoples. He noted that even his title "pontiff" means bridge-builder.
Francis said it was important to intensify dialogue among different religions "particularly dialogue with Islam" and to deepen the church`s outreach to atheists.
He said he wanted to begin a "journey" with countries that don`t yet have diplomatic relations.
His predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, had made improving relations with China a priority, but tensions remain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan