Diana `was killed over plan to expose UK’s arms dealers`
London: More than 12 years after she died in a car crash in Paris, a leading defence lawyer has alleged that Princess Diana was murdered over her plan to expose UK`s arms dealers.
Queen`s Counsel Michael Mansfield has claimed that the late Princess of Wales even intended publishing an "explosive" diary to unmask those most closely involved with British landmine manufacturing and the country`s role in arms trade.
"Everyone remembers she raised the profile of the land mines. Everybody is aware that the British involvement in the arms trade, particularly land mines, is and was a huge vested interest.”
"It seems to me she had planned various visits. She had already been to Angola and she was going to Cambodia. A large number of land mines had been manufactured by British.”
"She claimed she had an explosive diary in which she was going to expose the people most closely involved in the British arms trade," leading British tabloid the `Daily Express` quoted Mansfield as saying.
The Princess of Wales had angered ministers when she called for an international ban on land mines just months before her death in 1997. She spoke out during a high-profile visit to Angola to meet some of the tens of thousands of innocent victims of the lethal devices.
At the time, British Defence Minister Earl Howe had described her as a "loose cannon" and claimed that she was ill-informed on the issue.
Mansfield represented Mohammed Al-Fayed, the father of Princess Diana`s boyfriend Dodi who was killed alongside her, at the inquest into the couple`s deaths which returned only a verdict of unlawful killing.
A spokesperson for Princes William and Harry said they had "no comment" on the latest allegations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark