Did Nicolas Sarkozy order killing of Gaddafi?
London: Slain Libyan Muammar Gaddafi was killed by a French secret serviceman acting on the orders of Nicolas Sarkozy, it has emerged.
Well-placed sources in Libya have revealed that the motive was to stop Gaddafi being interrogated about his highly suspicious links with Sarkozy, who was France’s President at the time.
Now, Mahmoud Jibril, who served as interim Prime Minister following Gaddafi``s overthrow, told Egyptian TV that ‘it was a foreign agent who mixed with the revolutionary brigades to kill Gaddafi,’ the Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, diplomatic sources in Tripoli, meanwhile suggested to the Italian newspaper Corriere della Serra that a foreign assassin was likely to have been French.
“Since the beginning of NATO support for the revolution, strongly backed by the government of Nicolas Sarkozy, Gaddafi openly threatened to reveal details of his relationship with the former president of France, including the millions of dollars paid to finance his candidacy at the 2007 elections,” the paper wrote.
The report quoted a Tripoli source, as saying that ‘Sarkozy had every reason to try to silence the Colonel and as quickly as possible.’
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know