Did Nicolas Sarkozy order killing of Gaddafi?
London: Slain Libyan Muammar Gaddafi was killed by a French secret serviceman acting on the orders of Nicolas Sarkozy, it has emerged.
Well-placed sources in Libya have revealed that the motive was to stop Gaddafi being interrogated about his highly suspicious links with Sarkozy, who was France’s President at the time.
Now, Mahmoud Jibril, who served as interim Prime Minister following Gaddafi``s overthrow, told Egyptian TV that ‘it was a foreign agent who mixed with the revolutionary brigades to kill Gaddafi,’ the Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, diplomatic sources in Tripoli, meanwhile suggested to the Italian newspaper Corriere della Serra that a foreign assassin was likely to have been French.
“Since the beginning of NATO support for the revolution, strongly backed by the government of Nicolas Sarkozy, Gaddafi openly threatened to reveal details of his relationship with the former president of France, including the millions of dollars paid to finance his candidacy at the 2007 elections,” the paper wrote.
The report quoted a Tripoli source, as saying that ‘Sarkozy had every reason to try to silence the Colonel and as quickly as possible.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in