Different weapons tested besides 14000 km missile: China
Beijing: Two days after state-TV announced the test of a new 14,000 km range missile, China`s Defence Ministry on Thursday tacitly confirmed the development and said it had tested "different weapons" recently but they were not targeted at any specific countries.
"China`s Defence Ministry confirmed that the People`s Liberation Army (PLA) had conducted missile tests within national territory," official media here reported today.
"We conducted some normal weapons tests within the territory recently," state-run Xinhua news agency quoted China`s Defence Ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng as saying at a media briefing.
The PLA had conducted missile tests within national territory but they were not targeted at any one country, Geng said playing down reports that 14000 km range DF-41 ICBM has been built to reach targets in various parts of the United States.
"These tests have no specific targets and were not targeted at any specific countries," Geng said.
The Defence Ministry meetings are mostly confined to the official media.
The state-run CCTV which two days ago said that the DF-41 missile was test fired last month said Geng has not elaborated about the tests of the "weapons".
According to the CCTV report the missile, which could carry 10 warheads with ability to evade missile defence systems, was tested last month by the PLA`s Second Artillery Force.
Significantly, today`s Xinhua`s report referred to media reports that "JL-2 submarine-launched ballistic missiles had failed, and that China`s development of ballistic missiles was at a comparatively slow pace".
While Geng said the missile were not directed at any country, the Xinhua report however, said "according to the reports, China`s latest ballistic missiles have a range allowing them to hit any point of the United States and could penetrate its missile defence system".
Geng also took exception to the recent US-Japan military exercises in the East China Sea.
China is peeved over the drills which included taking over of an island, which the Chinese media says was aimed at taking control of disputed islands Diaoyu islands referred by Japan as Senkaku islands.
Frequent military exercise in the region are not good for building trust and China is opposed to them, Geng said.
The island has been Chinese territory and the Chinese military has determination and credibility to safeguard its territory and national sovereignty, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'